There’s something wonderfully therapeutic about opening the windows and cleaning out an entire season’s worth of dust, but it’s difficult to know where to start. It’s time to grab your mask, gloves, and cleaning apron and spring into action! While spring cleaning is no small task, we’re here to provide 4 easy steps to give your home a fresh start.
Make a checklist and schedule
While it may seem like a waste of time, the best way to start is to write down all of the areas that need the most work. Are there any places that you tend to skip when you’re cleaning, or are more difficult to tackle regularly? Creating a well planned to-do list will help keep you focused on the task at hand while allowing you to check things off as you accomplish them!
Get rid of the clutter
Decluttering your home not only helps with being more organized, it also has positive implications on your mental health. Studies show that there are significant links to stress if your home is disorganized. That’s why it’s important to set aside time to do the following:
- Organize your closets (this includes making a pile of clothes that you no longer wear and donating them)
- Organize your bedroom and office
- Look through your junk drawers
Clean your air, not just your home
One of the most neglected parts of spring cleaning is replacing your furnace and HVAC filters. One thing to note is if you replace a standard filter with a bigger one, this may help with catching smaller particles. You can rest assured you’re breathing healthy air!
Another way to keep your air clean is to have an air purifier, especially if you or your family suffers from allergies.
Get down and dirty with the kitchen and bathroom
These are the dreaded areas that we tend to avoid. If you’re not sure where to start with your kitchen and bathroom, here are a few ideas we suggest.
- Wipe down your cabinets
- Go through your pantry and refrigerator. Wipe down the shelves, and throw away any old items
- Be sure to clean your microwave
- If you have stainless steel appliances, use gentle cleaners or a steam cleaner to avoid scratching or other issues
- Clean your stovetop to eradicate burnt-on residue
- Change your shower curtain
- Beat shower head buildup by using white vinegar
- Go through your cosmetics drawer or medicine cabinet and throw away any expired items
Update your home with some decorating
Sometimes a light makeover helps freshen up your home for spring! If your house is feeling dark or stagnant, you can add colorful new pillows or even new art. Also be sure to replace items such as bedding, towels, table linens, and even window treatments to make your home feel refreshed.
Spring cleaning can be fun if you have a method to tackle it – you can even get yourself in the zone by lighting a candle and playing your favorite playlist. Happy cleaning, everyone!